You may be interested in essential oils, but don’t really know how you would use them. Let me walk you through a day of mine and I’ll show you how you may use essential oils to enhance your life.
Meditation / Journaling
I am not consistent about doing a morning practice, but when I do, it sure helps set a great rest of the day.
Using essential oils for meditation during a morning reflective practice can help wake you up, focus your mind, or set a mood or intention.
I like to use a diffuser for these sessions. Which oil you put into a cold mist diffuser for this practice is very flexible. Here are a few ideas:
- Lemon*: Lemon is a very clean scent that can focus your mind and wash away the sleepiness of the night
- Cedarwood: This woodsy aroma is somehow grounding and uplifting at the same time
- Citrus Bliss*: This blend is one of my favorites as it is energizing and gives me a feeling of joy
2. Shower/ Hair
I think the use of pure essential oils in home-spa/beauty routines needs to be discovered! It is so powerful.
If you shower in the mornings, why not use that time as natural therapy! During the shower, you can use oils aromatically to open your lungs or wake up your brain.
You can also use essential oils with your shampoo and conditioner to beautify your hair while inhaling them for aromatherapy.
- Peppermint*: this is a great one for both a wake-up call and for hair care. Shake a few drops into your palm and inhale deeply three times. Then add your shampoo and wash. Peppermint will detox your scalp, controlling dandruff and oil, supporting hair growth and adding volume.
- Breathe*: My friend uses Breathe in the shower regularly. Rub a few drops on your chest and inhale the scent as you bathe. Breathe opens up your lungs when congested or just anytime. Encouraging a deep, full breath at the start of the day will energize and balance you all day long.
3. Skin Care
Skin care is another area where essential oils shine.
- Frankincense* is the ‘king of oils’ for several reasons, one of which is skin. It helps prevent skin sagging and wrinkles. Its antioxidants nourish the skin. Add a drop of oil to your palm before mixing in your moisturizer and applying.
- Other oils I use on the skin are ylang-ylang and cedarwood.
4. Hormone Balance
Life has become busy and toxic, making it harder and harder to maintain hormone balance. There is a simple way to support your hormones with a pre-blended oil.
That blend is called ClaryCalm and it comes in a ‘rollerball’ that you simply uncap and roll over your lower abdomen liberally. Use twice a day and see what happens! This blend can be used at any age, even after menopause.
I have chronically cranky digestion, so I need to support it daily. DoTERRA essential oils have an easy blend for this one too by the name of Digestzen.
Use a drop of Digestzen on the tongue before a meal to increase enzyme production. Rub a few drops into your abdomen 2-3 times a day with a carrier oil to help move the bowels and prevent bloating. Or you can use the premade Digestzen rollerball, available at our shop.
After lunch is when my energy tends to drop and I want something sweet. Slim and Sassy to the rescue! You can use it before a meal to prevent overeating, or after a meal to prevent a trip to the cupboard or Starbucks for sugar and caffeine.
Use a drop of Slim and Sassy on your tongue. You can also rub it on your belly twice daily with a carrier oil to help reduce weight in this area.
- Peppermint* can also be used for cravings, to freshen breath and to provide natural energy.
Ah, cleaning: a necessary evil. I don’t love cleaning but I also don’t like crumbs everywhere or sticky drips of who-knows-what on the counter. I know germs can be lurking in this debris.
Cleaning with essential oils is non-toxic and gives peace of mind that your kitchen is really clean.
Many, many essential oils are antibacterial. This is because oils protect their plants in this way in nature. To make a cleaning spray, and ½ water to ½ vinegar and about 20 drops of essential oil.
Some to consider:
- On Guard*: a classic germ-killing blend by doTERRA
- Oregano*: a spicy, strong antiviral and antibacterial
- Orange: a more pleasant smell but still kills germs
As I mentioned, afternoon is my sleepy time, so I look for natural ways to pick myself up. I’ll mention a few non-oil methods first.
Squeeze a whole or half lemon into water and drink. Take a ¼ teaspoon of sea salt with water (if you don’t have high blood pressure.) Take a 20 minute horizontal cat nap or reading session.
If I’m going through an afternoon energy/stress roller coaster, sometimes I get
a headache. Popping over-the-counter pills regularly is dangerous, so try essential oils.
- Peppermint* distracts your body to relieve tension. Dilute with ½ coconut or grapeseed oil and apply everywhere it hurts.
- Past Tense is a powerful blend already in a rollerball that you can carry in your purse and use as needed.
Many, many women struggle with sleep and, although I’ve gotten better, I still do sometimes. Whether you are a full-time or part-time insomniac, having a sleep routine with oils is really beneficial.
Maybe you start with a walk, or some yoga, and move on to tea or reading. Using a diffuser in your bedroom is a great way to lower cortisol from the day and get sleepy.
A classic oil for sleep is lavender essential oil*, which lowers cortisol. You can optionally pair it with a grounding oil like vetiver. If you don’t yet have a diffuser, you can shake a few drops of oil onto a tissue and put on your pillow.
My very favorite sleep blend is Serenity. I love the scent and so does my son, who uses it in his room most nights.
*= these oils are part of starter kits from doTERRA
Oils are very safe and beneficial when you know how to use them! I love educating you, and I have two more opportunities coming up. Please join me!
If you’d prefer a private opportunity to choose an essential oil protocol and get help ordering, you can schedule that here.
We have two upcoming lectures on essential oils and hormones:
Support Your Thyroid with Essential Oils, on July 26, 2018 2:00 PM in Pacific Time (US and Canada)
Balance Your Hormones with Essential Oils, on July 28, 2018 9:00 AM in Pacific Time (US and Canada)